The National Association of Local Boards of Health (NALBOH) informs, guides, and is the national voice for boards of health. In today’s public health system, the leadership role of boards of health makes them an essential link between public health services and a healthy community. Uniquely positioned to deliver technical expertise in governance and leadership, board development, health priorities, and public health policy, NALBOH strives to strengthen good governance where public health begins—at the local level.
As an organization committed to strengthening and empowering boards of health through education and training, the National Association of Local Boards of Health (NALBOH) is committed to representing the American ideals and principles of our democratic society. When we gather to conduct business, we include all members in discussions and decision making as we are guided by the Bylaws which emerge from fundamental democratic principles that directly affect the structure of our organization.
This organization will demonstrate these principles by declaring that:
- All members have equal rights and responsibilities, in accordance with these Bylaws.
- Every member has the right to present and speak to issues.
- Members will agree to the rules upon which they will be governed, rules adopted by consent that respect the rights and responsibilities of all members.
- Ultimate authority resides in the members. Members will govern through their elected representation in which there is an agreed upon balance of power between the members and the officers they elect.
- The organization will be run with impartiality and fairness; business will be conducted in the spirit of openness; and the majority rules, but the rights of the minority and those absent will be protected.
The mission of NALBOH is to strengthen and improve public health governance.
The Vision of NALBOH states boards of health are:
- Appointed as a result of a well-informed selection process.
- Comprised of individuals who have demonstrated the knowledge, skills, and abilities to effectively represent and serve.
- Well-connected to other stakeholders in public health and government.
- Effectively and competently serving the public health needs of their community in accordance with the core functions and essential public health services.
- Aware of NALBOH’s resources and actively engaged in its success.
NALBOH has been engaged in establishing a significant voice for local boards of health on matters of national public health policy.
If you are involved with a local board of health, NALBOH is here to support you!
Join NALBOH today!
NALBOH Emeritus Status members - CLICK Here
NALBOH works closely with the following Partner Organizations:
We thank our partners for their support!
Contact us with any questions.
Page updated 5/8/2013.
© Copyright 2013, NALBOH