Remarks from NALBOH President, Margaret Brink
Three suggestions today as we move into the “holidays”. Some ideas/questions to ponder for you and your board of health in the oversight function. NALBOH is here to acknowledge and help.
1. Locally: Think about your health agency/department and the “winter-ready” actions needed. Do you need to check the safety of the folks you serve for the next months of changing weather conditions and those nasty winter cold and flu bugs? Are you ready as a board of health to support and encourage the healthiest workforce and best-practice field work of your staff? Did you get a flu shot? Are you planning to be safe and healthy over the holidays and the winter? Is your community healthier and safer because of the work done through your agency/department? Are you observing what is being done and supporting the actions? Oversight is a responsibility of the board, just keeping a watchful eye for your community and neighborhood, so all the public is healthy.
2. Statewide: Is your state legislature ready for the planning and action for the upcoming legislative season? Please make your contacts with elected officials so they know who they can contact, along with your health director/executive, when public health is part of the discussion. “What is public health?” still seems to be in need of more understanding. Get your 21 words/3point elevator message ready. Every year we need to be telling the stories of why public health works and how it is a good return on the money.
3. Nationally: Read, discuss and be aware of the public health issues that are taking place around our nation. What happens in one state may touch the neighboring states and travel all across the country. As NALBOH members, we can share the stories of what is happening in our own backyard. We can share “lessons learned”. Makes sense today that we would have a “Holiday Turkey” shortage because of the bird flu disaster in the connecting corner of South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska. Kind of a simple example, I know. What would be your state or neighborhood story? Is it medical marijuana, heroin, sexually transmitted infections, trafficking, energy and environmental issues, violence and the list may go on. Be aware.
Being on a board of health is really an important role because you are seen as a public health leader in your community. The board’s oversite role is important and we need to support public health at home, statewide and nationally. Our NALBOH membership is growing and so you have many allies. Together we can strengthen and improve public health governance.
Have a safe, healthy and happy holiday season. Public Health Rocks!!
NALBOH Special Election -
Please Vote for your 2016 Board Members!
These new positions would begin January 1, 2016.
Director at Large Position (Term January 1, 2016-December 31, 2018)
- Andrew Quarnstrom, IL
- William O. Beeman, OH
Director at Large Position (Term January 1, 2016-December 31, 2017)
Please view NALBOH's Candidate Biographical Sketch Information for more details on these candidates.
Each Board of Health Organizational Member can cast ONE vote. Please determine a casting member. Only the first vote from your Board of Health will count. Please vote electronically here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BBGWRZ3.
Voting deadline is December 1, 2015.
NALBOH Webinar: Tackling Legal Issues in Public Health - December 15th - Register Today!
NALBOH is partnering with the Network for Public Health Law to present a webinar on December 15th, at 12:00 PM CST. Please plan accordingly for the time zone difference. More details available on the NALBOH website.
Donna E. Levin, J.D., National Director, Network for Public Health Law
Jill Krueger, J.D., Northern Region Director, Network for Public Health Law
*This webinar is free for NALBOH Members. Please be sure to be logged in!
2016 NALBOH Membership Renewal is Open!
If you haven't, be sure you don't miss anything in 2016 and renew now! Please update your profile or let the NALBOH Office know if any of your contact information has changed. Add your full Board of Health rosters to the NALBOH website or send to the NALBOH office so that all of your members receive NALBOH Correspondence! View 2016 Member Benefits here.
We look forward to a successful 2016! Watch for the 2016 NALBOH Annual Conference Announcement Coming SOON!
Winter Quarterly Newsbrief - Provide Your Stories! - Deadline December 10th
NALBOH is working on the Winter Edition of the Quarterly Newsbrief. We want you to share and brag with your colleagues what you have been doing as an active Board of Health! Did you just receive accreditation? Would you like to recognize someone for their distinguished service? Have you passed a policy or resolution that impacts public health? Do you have your annual meeting/conference coming up? Let the NALBOH Office know and we can publish for all NALBOH members to see. Deadline for submissions is December 10th! Submit your News Story or send to the NALBOH Office.
Make a Year-End Donation to NALBOH!
As the end of 2015 approaches, please consider giving a tax-deductible donation to NALBOH. Your contribution can benefit projects, scholarships, speakers and leadership development. Donate Today!
NALBOH Members Receive Accreditation Status in 2015
The Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) awarded five-year national accreditation status to 17 governmental public health departments, four of which are NALBOH Members:
- City of Wauwatosa Health Department, WI
- Clay County Public Health Center, MO
- Davis County Health Department, UT
- Mid-Michigan District Health Department, MI
For more information on the PHAB accreditation announcements, view the NALBOH website. Congratulations to ALL!
State News: Please view the NALBOH State News website for news on Ingham County, MI's eCigarette ban, Indiana's Public Health Symposium & Campaign on Reducing Infant Deaths, Illinois' Budget Cut Backs & Others! Submit your News Story to feature on the website!
Network for Public Health Law Webinar - December 9th: Addressing Technical and Legal Barriers to Immunization Information Systems Interjurisdictional Data Sharing. Register for this webinar here.
View webinars on the NALBOH Archive: Health in All Policies and Law, a webinar sponsored by APHA's Partnership for Public Health Law recently added to the webinar archive. View the recording here.
Tobacco Control Legal Consortium October Resources: Click here to view the Consortium's newest resources.
SAVE THE DATE: National Public Health Law Conference in Washington, DC, September 15-17, 2016. More information, including conference planning, agenda, and early-bird discounts, is forthcoming soon through the Network and ASLME.