Membership Approves Major Bylaws Changes
Saturday, August 15, 2015
MEMBERSHIP APPROVES MAJOR BYLAWS CHANGES
At its 2015 Annual Meeting on August 6th the membership of NALBOH approved major revisions to the Association’s bylaws. The changes were proposed by the NALBOH Bylaws Committee in response to a 2014 request from the Board of Directors. Changes include:
- An overall simplified set of bylaws to better support the organization
- Reduction of membership categories from 7 to 3 plus retention of honorary membership.
- Reduction of standing committees from 11 to 4 committees (Executive, Finance, Nominations and SALBOH Leadership) with other committees created as “ad hoc” or special committees as needed
- Clarification of the election process
- Removal of the restriction on past presidents continuing to serve on the board (if eligible), but keeping term limits
The revised bylaws restructure the Board of Directors from:
4 officers, 4 state affiliate directors (one for each of 4 regional quadrants), 4 directors at large
To: 5 officers and 6 directors at large.
- The secretary-treasurer position will become two positions – secretary and treasurer – beginning January 1, 2016, at which time the new bylaws will take effect.
- The state affiliate director positions were eliminated and replaced with directors at large.
- The CEO position was removed as a nonvoting member of the board
The NALBOH Membership also approved a one year implementation plan to operationalize the changes, specifically the new board structure, and authorized a special fall election to begin the process. Once implemented approximately 1/3 of the Board and officers will stand for election to 3-year terms each year.
2014-15 Bylaws Committee members were: Pat Lopez (NE), Freddie Nichols (MO), John Rodwick (CO), Cheryl Sbarra (MA), Jim Stecker (WI), and Eric Ostermann, NALBOH Association Manager, of Badger Bay Management (WI). Judy Sartucci (CT) chaired the Committee.
A copy of the revised bylaws can be found on the NALBOH website here.